Five Beacons for the Lost Half Mile
A series of perforated stainless steel sculptural volumes lit from within guide pedestrians along the North bank of the Charles River through a vast outdoor room formed by the multi-lane highway above.
This landacape under Boston's Zakim bridge and highway ramps was inaccessable until completion of the Central Artery Project and the construction of new urban parkland that opened in 2012. The new park was designed in association with MDC planners and is now managed for public use and enjoyment by the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR).
This long-neglected section of the Charles River Basin was described by Charles River advocate Max Hall as "the lost half mile". Before construction of the Charles River Dam (1978) the area was tidal harbor surrounded by industry and wharf warehouses beginning in the 1830's. Foot passage was impossible, blocked by mud flats, early abatoires, polluted drainage channels, and rail yards.
With public access required by Chapter 91 legislation, and funding from highway projects and the Economic Stimulus Act, this new urban landscape allows for continuious pedestrian passage from the area of the Science Museum to North Point Park, across and along Millers RIver to Rutherford Avenue in Charlestown and also through Paul Revere Park to the Charles River Dam and the Charlestown Navy Yard.
Artwork project originally developed by the Artery Arts Program of the Central Arter/Tunnel Projecty. Partners include the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR), and Mass Highway Department. Planning and landscape design by Carol R. Johnson Associates,
John Amadeo, Landscape Architect
Cathy Offenberg, Landscape Architect
Charlotte Fleetwood, CA/T
Ross Miller, Artist for lighting sculptures